The Behrend Lehmann Museum for Jewish history and culture is named after the Court Jew
Behrend Lehmann (1661-1730), one of the most eminent Court Jews of the period. Born in Halberstadt, Lehmann served the courts of Prussia, Hannover, Brandenburg and, most significantly of all, August the Strong of Saxony.
Lehmann's position allowed him to improve the condition of Jews in Halberstadt, but he also extended his efforts to Poland. Many Jewish business men and merchants were drawn to Halberstadt because of the opportunities Lehmann provided for trade and commerce. He also improved the conditions of poor Jews.
Of particular importance to Lehmann was improving Jewish religious and spiritual life and to this end he funded the first printing of the Babylonian Talmud in Germany in 1696. In 1700 he underwrote the construction of the Klaus synagogue as a “yeshivah” or study hall. The splendid Baroque synagogue, built with Lehmann's support, first opened its doors in 1712.